"Had you expected this?" we asked CEO Blake Miremont.
"Not in a million years"
It took a pandemic, and for Blake, a rapid pivot of technical skills from fabricating acrylic wine racks and display cases, to the stuff of fighting a virus.
RELATED: Partitions, paper menus and more as Bay Area restaurant prepares for post-COVID-19 business
They began with face masks, 80,000 of them. Blake worked the design on his compute, and now his small company of 13 people produces it.
"First responders and front liners need protection," said Dave Porter as he ran the machine. "It's not perfect but at least it's something."
The staff here already works 18 hour days, seven days a week. And yet, these masks take less than a one minute to assemble.
"Where does the mind go when assembling a mask?" we asked Michael Tolson, the Lead Glue Room Fabricator.
"Put on the radio. Get in the zone. Crank them out as fast as you can."
While the masks came first, plastic barriers have followed in countless practical iterations for banks, restaurants, you name it. And each has a slightly different design.
Some hang from the ceiling. Others sit on counters.
RELATED: Everything we know about CA businesses opening Friday and what comes next
"These are for slot machines. Casinos," said Blake while holding a large, curved piece with room for electronic cables at the bottom.
"They keep people separated while breathing on each other."
"You can't just put up a piece of plastic and call it day?"
"Apparently not. Part of it is protection but it also has to be aesthetic."
How ironic that after humanity spent millenniums trying to break down barriers, now we can thank COVID-19 for putting them up again... everywhere.
"This is our immediate future," said Blake. "Plastic social distancing guards."
It's a boon for the plastics industry, no doubt. Not that Blake and his co-workers are happy about all the coming work. "I hope when the vaccine comes this will be superfluous."
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic hereRELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- How California's COVID-19 cases stack up against other hot spot states
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions