SANTA ROSA, Calif. (KGO) -- In the midst of suburbia, a twist on the manicured greens lawns that decorate most front yards is a sign of the times - socially distanced mannequins. They're even wearing face masks.
"You get what he is doing?" we asked Norm about Jason Windus, across the street.
"No. I have no idea what is doing," Norm said.
Or "they," to be more precise. They, as in the mannequins, spaced six feet apart Jason Windus' yard, to serve as a message.
"Social distancing. Even a dummy can do it," Jason explained. "It's a thank you to first responders, police, doctors, nurses, people who work in grocery stores."
Here at the corner of Sundance and Peterson in Santa Rosa, Jason's had already earned a reputation.
"The mannequin guy," explained Donna Bourdet from the comfort of her passing SUV.
What began last year as a protest against a local ordinance requiring Jason to lower his fence has evolved with coronavirus.
"I mean everyone is affected. We're all staying home."
The mannequins began social distancing in parallel at the same time their flesh and blood brethren did. When we stop, they will stop.
Until then, "I mean the world is a serious place right now. It's important," said Jason.
And, after the better part of a month with all of us feeling cooped up, Jason's mannequins have become a welcome respite for most of us.
Neighbors driving or strolling by sound more like instant docents.
"I am I really proud we have them," said Donna Bourdet, still in her SUV. "It is good to have eclectic people in the neighborhood."
"I think they set a good example for all of us," added Gloria Mosenberg.
"They're telling us what to do. Yeah. Even the mannequins can do it," interpreted her husband, Sanford.
So now, the big question.
"You ever going to put clothes on them " we asked Jason.
"I thought about it," he said, but wouldn't commit.
Then again, how can a person not think when passing this display?
Six feet apart? Sure beats six feet under.
WATCH: Jason's original mannequin display after neighbors asked him to lower his fence
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US,around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of livingin the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19