People were seeking anything that resembled their normal routine, like a farmers market in San Mateo. Farmers markets are exempt from the order.
The line was long at the Costco in South San Francisco with shoppers keeping their distance from each other.
Tourists couldn't find anything open at San Francisco's famous Fisherman's Wharf. Streets were empty and businesses and restaurants were closed during the shelter in place order.
RELATED: Coronavirus: Everything to know about San Francisco Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
Crissy Field was a different story, lots of people were out getting air and exercising, most people were practicing social distancing, but not all.
"As you can see, not much shelter-in-place. More people out than last year at this time," said Angelo Miller from San Francisco.
The San Francisco Health Department has posted signs about social distancing as a reminder around the city.
RELATED: Small acts of caring bring hope to Bay Area in wake of coronavirus outbreak
SFPD is taking it a step further by creating a public service announcement about social distancing.
In the North Bay, the streets of Petaluma were empty some restaurants are open doing take out only.
Rooster Run Golf Course was still operating while taking precautions.
"They sanitized the carts, we had to bring our own pencil to keep score," said golfer Charlie Arisman.
At Marin General, sisters Charlene, Cheryl & Colette couldn't visit their mom in ICU, so they sent their love in chalk on the sidewalk hoping mom could see from the window, the message: "We love you"
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirusoutbreak in US, around the world
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Bay Area cancelations, closures related to COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus in CA: Get resources and information about COVID-19
- Bay Area school closures related to coronavirus pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19