In an effort to answer your questions about the coronavirus crisis in the Bay Area, ABC7 hosted "Reaching the Peak" an interactive Q&A with the mayors of San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose and UCSF's chair of the Dept. of Medicine, Dr. Bob Wachter.
RELATED: Newsom unveils plan to reopen California, ease stay-at-home restrictions amid coronavirus pandemic
Dr. Wachter credited all three mayors with saving lives with their decisive and early actions to contain the spread of the virus. But Dr. Wachter acknowledged even as we may be reaching the "peak" of coronavirus cases in the Bay Area, it would require continued effort by local leaders and residents to ensure a downward trend.
Looking forward to the summer and fall, San Francisco Mayor London Breed acknowledged that the cancellation of large gatherings like Outside Lands may be necessary as social distancing continues.
While some localities have been using fines to enforce social distancing guidelines, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf said she didn't believe that was the way forward. Instead, Mayor Schaaf said Oakland was focusing on education and public outreach to ensure people continue to comply with shelter-in-place orders.
"The last thing people need right now is a fine," said Mayor Schaaf. "The best enforcement is by the people around you, your own peers."
Mayor Breed, as well as San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo, spoke of their cities' efforts to protect homeless individuals from contracting the virus.
"The problems that existed before this pandemic with sadly so many of our homeless population with mental health and substance abuse disorder. Those don't go away because of the pandemic. In fact, it's worse," said Breed.
Watch the interactive Q&A in its entirety in the video below:
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19