SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A vacation haven for many during this time of year, South Lake Tahoe is nearly a ghost town as tens of thousands of residents and tourists have evacuated due to the Caldor Fire.
Longtime South Lake Tahoe resident Kevin Cooper joined ABC7's Getting Answers to share his experience fleeing from his own home.
"It was very, it was very surreal. Smoke, no sound, traffic," Cooper said.
On Monday, Cooper told ABC7 he did not intend to leave his Echo Summit home, until the flames got closer. Just one day later, the fire quickly spread by the miles with the wind, inching into the Tahoe basin.
"When the fire came into the basement at Christmas Valley, it was less than seven miles away from our house," he said, " that's just over the pie shop or Twin Peaks from our house."
Cooper says having a prepared a plan A and B helped him and his wife evacuate quickly and more efficiently.
Watch the full interview by clicking the media player above.
Go here for the latest information and videos about the Caldor Fire crisis.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows riskiest areas in California for damaging wildfires
- How bad will CA's fire season be? Here's what we know, what we don't
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- How to make a pet carrier in case of emergency
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- The deadliest wildfires in California history
- Live: Track Bay Area air quality levels
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- What's in wildfire smoke? How it can impact your health
- What are the diablo winds and how can they influence Northern California wildfires?
- What you need to know about Santa Ana winds and California wildfires
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- How to pick a mask for protection during a wildfire
- Red flag warning: What to do during dangerous fire conditions
- Everything to know about red flame retardant dropped during wildfires
- What happens to animals during wildfires?
- How to drive safely during a power outage
- How wildfires create a serious threat for flooding and mudflows
- These aircraft are on the front lines of the fight against California wildfires