SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Over the weekend, pops of yellow, blue and green started popping up, bringing life and color back into San Francisco streets. This time, the vibrancy came in forms of masked bear murals created by San Francisco-based artist, fnnch.
Since the shelter-in-place order caused unessential businesses to close mid-March, San Francisco retailers have temporarily locked-up shop. Owners boarded up their stores to prevent break-ins and the once-bustling streets became eerily vacant.
"These boarded up stores are depressing," fnnch shared in an Instagram post. "I long to sit down in a restaurant again, get my hair cut again, go to the art supply store again. But until that happens, we might as well use these boards as a canvas of art."
The coronavirus inspired honey bears wearing face masks or reimagined as bottles of hand-sanitizer can be seen in San Francisco's Castro, Pacific Heights, Hayes Valley and Fillmore districts.
"To me, wearing a mask is about caring for others. A mask won't prevent you from getting sick, but if you are sick and don't know it - contagious but not symptomatic - it can help prevent the infection from spreading. We are all in this together, and we need to get out of this together," the post continued.
San Francisco resident Heidi C. took a stroll to find the masked bears and shared her discovery on Fillmore Street.
"There are now 13 different Mask Bears out and about," fnnch added. "If you are feeling cooped up, consider going out for a walk and seeing if you can spot them all!"
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19