PITTSBURG, Calif. (KGO) -- An East Bay Market is doing more than selling groceries. Golden Star Market in Pittsburg has created 200 care packages to people in their community that have been affected by the coronavirus pandemic.
The family-owned market has relied on the loyalty of their customers for twenty-four years and want to show their gratitude by giving back.
"Our community has obviously suffered a lot. A lot of our customers cannot leave the house because they are in a group that has to stay in," said Abdul Hamid Ahmed of Golden Star Market. "In general, it affected us because we don't see as much people as we use to see before. "
The oldest brother, Ahmed, came up with the idea to serve his community at this time. The Pittsburg grocery store gathered all of their resources to put the care packages together with the help of ASI Alarm company, Golden Star Meat Market, Golden Egg Company, FreshKO Produce and generous donations from the community.
The care packages were filled with beans, bread, carrots, cucumbers, eggs, jelly, peanut butter, onions and rice.
"Without the community we wouldn't be here so the community has been great," said Ahmed.
This isn't the first time that Golden Star Market has helped out their customers. The market gave away 120 care packages during the first month of the COVID-19 lockdown.
"We are instructed by our faith to give back to our community and this is part of who we are," said Ahmed. "We are not looking for recognition, we just want to help. The community has always been there for us."
"I have been shopping here for the last 15 maybe 20 years," said Raul Diaz, a long-time customer of Golden Star Market. "This is nothing new to them and they have always done stuff like that to help out the community."
Abdul and his family plans to keep helping their local community as long as the pandemic lasts.
"We want to thank our community and we will pull through this," said Ahmed. "We're here for you just like you have been here for us."
Golden Star Market is located on West 10th street in Pittsburg.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19