SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Joe Eskenazi wrote a compelling article for Mission Local about the homeless, coronavirus, and how Mayor Breed is dealing with all it.
The Bay Area -- and San Francisco in particular -- have been portrayed as beacons of light in flattening the COVID-19 curve.
A piece in the Atlantic highlighted Mayor London Breed's leadership. She was the first in the country to declare a state of emergency and the first in the country to issue a shelter-in-place.
Eskenazi wrote a response calling the Atlantic article a "fable."
Instead of Breed letting all the health officials make the initial announcement of a shelter-in-place, he says the mayor decided to hold a press conference right before to, "grab the spotlight and national attention."
The mayor's office has responded to this article saying: "The Mayor, along with Director of Public Health Dr. Grant Colfax, announced the stay at home order to the people of San Francisco because she is the elected leader of the city and it's important that the resident of our city hear directly from her about something that will significantly impact their lives. From January when we first announced the opening of our Emergency Operations Center to February when we declared a State of Emergency in San Francisco through today, she has stood with the leaders of our Public Health Department and City Departments to communicate clearly with the public about the challenges facing our City as we move through this pandemic."
Watch the video above for the full interview with Mission Local editor and columnist Joe Eskenazi.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19