SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- At least 22 public companies in the Bay Area have received more than $69 million in federal funding through the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), according to an ABC7 I-Team data analysis.
Quantum, a data storage company based in San Jose, received the most with $10 million in PPP funding. According to SEC filings, the company employs 800 full-time employees.
"I want to know if the company plans on returning the money?" ABC7's Stephanie Sierra asked.
The company declined our interview request, but did send the following statement:
"The PPP loan is saving American jobs at Quantum - without it we would most certainly be forced to reduce headcount. We owe it to our employees -- who've stuck with us through a long and difficult turnaround -- to do everything we can to save their jobs during this crisis."
ABC7 asked if the company will be returning any portion of the funds, but we have yet to hear back.
Quantum is one of 22 Bay Area companies that received PPP funding.
Here's the full list:
Castlight Health, a San Francisco-based health software company is the only Bay Area company that has returned the funding.
According to ABC7's data analysis, Quantum and Castlight Health are the only two local companies that received $10 million. Three other companies came close receiving between $5-8 million.
Preliminary data shows Castlight Health is one out of the 25 public companies across the U.S. that have returned the federal funding intended for small businesses.
Here is the full list of those 25 companies:
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic hereRELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US,around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of livingin the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19