Edward Huang is keenly aware of how unusual his senior year of high school is at San Mateo High. He knows the pitfalls of the digital divide well, along with all the other missed traditions that are earned and enjoyed when reaching high school's most experienced grade.
But in the year that has seen an infinite amount of forced adjustments, Huang is choosing to do something positive. By documenting his final year of high school during the COVID-19 pandemic, he not only captures eternal glimpses of daily life in quarantine, but can sharpen his skills to reach his goal of becoming a career journalist.
RELATED: Coronavirus crisis: Student journalist documents last day of school before shelter-in-place while dad deploys to USNS Mercy
"As we've learned more about the virus, we're finding ways to communicate in ways we didn't before," Huang said about how he and his friends have adapted.
"We're going to local parks and social distancing, with our masks on of course, we're bringing hand sanitizer. And we're really just getting through it together, because there's really no way we can do it otherwise."
RELATED: COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
Huang says even though the start of the pandemic brought along feelings that the world might end, he tells ABC7 News Anchor Kristen Sze that there are so many bright lessons to take away from this new life.
Click on the video above to see Huang's full interview, plus what he says he has seen with how other teenagers are handling the coronavirus pandemic. Join anchor Kristen Sze for ABC7's interactive "Getting Answers" newscast, weekdays at 3 p.m., with live updates about what's happening where you live.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the story in a new window
INTERACTIVE: Here's the reopening status of every Bay Area county
Go here for the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Bay Area cancelations, closures related to COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus in CA: Get resources and information about COVID-19
- Bay Area school closures related to coronavirus pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19