Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf unveiled "Operation Homebase," a once-vacant lot now teaming with 67 new RV's provided by the state office of emergency services.
RELATED: City of Alameda preps new trailers to house homeless during COVID-19 crisis
"These are our unhoused residents from East Oakland," explained Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf. "'Operation HomeBase' will be giving safe respite to about 130 of our unhoused residents who are particularly vulnerable to COVID-19."
"While we bend the curve at an aggregate level," said Oakland City Councilman Loren Taylor. "We have to stay focused on the details and the specific demographics of our residents and that means our most vulnerable."
Each trailer will house two people who already share a household and each comes equipped with bedding, household supplies and all utilities.
"We engineered for water, electric and power. We had to trench about 4500 linear feet in order to accommodate for the sewer," said project manager Jim Moore, with Sustainable Urban Neighborhoods.
RELATED: Alameda Food Bank sees 10x demand amid COVID-19 crisis
The first residents will be moving into the trailers starting Wednesday. There will be plenty of health precautions, including regular coronavirus testing.
"Operation HomeBase" residents were offered a place by invitation only and there is currently a waiting list.
With the new community comes the realization that for all those who invited in, there are hundreds more still on the streets of Oakland, trying to stay safe during a pandemic.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19