SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- An air quality advisory for the entire Bay Area has been extended through Sunday.
RELATED: East Bay bathed in smoke-driven smog
Video from SKY7 over San Francisco and other parts of the Bay Area on Thursday showed just how dark and murky the air was.
It's not fog, as many residents probably thought. It's because of smoke from wildfires in the region.
RELATED: Morning fog along coast, summer chill could last until September
The Bay Area Quality Management District says the conditions were supposed to be better by Thursday, but that wasn't the case.
"Since wildfire smoke is unpredictable, it's hard to say when these conditions will change, though we will monitor these conditions the next few days. We do expect these conditions to last through the weekend," said Bay Area Air Quality Management District Public Information Officer Sarah Zahedi.
Get the latest weather updates here and recent stories and videos about the California wildfires here.
RELATED WILDFIRE STORIES & VIDEOS:
- MAPS: Wildfires burning across California
- Photos from the wildfires across California
- The latest evacuation orders for Shasta County's Carr Fire, Mendocino County's Complex Fire
- What's in wildfire smoke? Here's how it can impact your health
- VIDEO: Cal Fire says massive fire tornado killed fire inspector in Redding
- Procession held for Utah firefighter killed battling Mendocino Complex Fires
- VIDEO: Vacaville police race to evacuate animals from SPCA as Nelson Fire rages nearbys
- VIDEO: Simulation shows how quickly Carr Fire spread in Shasta County
- San Jose State climate scientists gathering data to forecast wildland fire behavior
- PHOTOS: Massive Carr Fire tears through Shasta County
- How to help Carr Fire victims in Redding and Shasta County, California
- VIDEO: What it's like to fly over the Carr Fire in a Calif. National Guard plane
- VIDEO: Drive through Carr Fire near Redding reveals apocalyptic scenes
- VIDEO: Firefighters get brief rest in neighbor's yard during 'apocalyptic' Carr Fire in Shasta County
- VIDEO: New look at destruction from Carr Fire in Redding
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- PG&E may cut electricity during high fire danger, are you prepared?
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- These aircraft are on the front lines of the fight against California wildfires
- Wildfire masks: How to best protect yourself from smoke during a fire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- How to sign up for emergency alerts where you live
- Surviving a long-term power outage
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- DIY: How to make a pet carrier in case of emergency
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster