RELATED: Air Quality Alert issued for Bay Area
The Bay Area Air Quality Management District has issued an Air Quality Alert through Tuesday this week.
It's a bit hard to see, the nearly 4,000-foot Mt. Diablo that usually looms over central Contra Costa County. But recently, it's been more like a hazy shadow, if you can see it all.
A hazy Mt. Diablo is pictured on Monday, August 20, 2018 from Walnut Creek, Calif.
"We have a Smoke Advisory for today and tomorrow," said Mark Ross, a Martinez city councilman who also serves as a director for the Bay Area Air Quality Management District.
RELATED: Smoke from California wildfires reaches New York City
The ongoing Mendocino Complex Fires are only part of the problem. According to air quality officials, much of this smoke is coming from other fires as far away as Oregon and British Columbia.
"We're also getting our usual summertime smog," explained Ross, "the old traditional summertime smog, mixed in with that so we're getting a two-course meal of smog and particulate matter. And Gov. Brown has said this is our new normal, and unfortunately he may be right."
RELATED: Mendocino Complex Fires creating poor air quality in Bay Area
At Walnut Creek's Heather Farm, parents made the best of a little smog-clearing wind to get their kids outside, at least for a little while.
"It looked like it was nice and clear out here today. Just wanted to come down, get some fresh air and enjoy the park," said Zach Beatty.
RELATED: How wildfire smoke can impact your health
"It seems nice right now. I don't really smell smoke. If it were this time last week, we probably wouldn't be out here," said Sierra Ingalls of Martinez.
That's not to say parents aren't poised to bring the fun back inside when the air turns brown.
"Yeah, usually if you look in the sky and see that it's pretty smoky, you think this might be a day for some Netflix or something like that," said Donavan Childs.
RELATED: Bay Area AccuWeather Forecast
Get the latest on wildfires across California here.
RELATED WILDFIRE STORIES & VIDEOS:
- MAPS: Wildfires burning across California
- The latest evacuation orders for Shasta County's Carr Fire, Mendocino County's Complex Fire
- PHOTOS: Massive Carr Fire tears through Shasta County
- How to help Carr Fire victims in Redding and Shasta County, California
- Photos from the wildfires across California
- VIDEO: What it's like to fly over the Carr Fire in a Calif. National Guard plane
- VIDEO: Drive through Carr Fire near Redding reveals apocalyptic scenes
- VIDEO: Firefighters get brief rest in neighbor's yard during 'apocalyptic' Carr Fire in Shasta County
- VIDEO: New look at destruction from Carr Fire in Redding
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- PG&E may cut electricity during high fire danger, are you prepared?
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- These aircraft are on the front lines of the fight against California wildfires
- Wildfire masks: How to best protect yourself from smoke during a fire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- How to sign up for emergency alerts where you live
- Surviving a long-term power outage
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- DIY: How to make a pet carrier in case of emergency
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster