RELATED: Everything we know (and don't) about CA businesses opening Friday and what comes next
Speaking at a daily briefing, county Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Kathryn Barger said the first round of reopenings will include trails, trailheads, golf courses, car dealership showrooms, and stores that sell toys, books, clothing, sporting goods and music. Pro shops and dine-in restaurants at golf courses are to remain shuttered.
The revised "safer-at-home" order will only allow for curbside pickup at the businesses, Barger emphasized. In-store shopping will continue to be banned for the time being.
Beaches will also remain closed, although public health director Dr. Barbara Ferrer said a plan for reopening the coastline has been developed and could be implemented "in the very near future."
RELATED: 'Depression-era numbers': California's recovery from COVID-19 crisis will take years, Newsom warns
The unveiling of the gradual reopening of the county's economy comes a day after Gov. Gavin Newsom said it was appropriate for some businesses and outdoor areas to begin opening up again on Friday.
According to Barger, the unveiling of the L.A. County plan followed conversations between county and state officials aimed at ensuring that any easing of restrictions is in the best interest of the health of residents. She said the county could not be more lenient than the state dictates.
"What's best for other counties may not necessarily be right for Los Angeles County," the board chair said. "As we are the most densely populated county in the state, our guidelines will certainly look different than others."
At the same news conference, Ferrer reported 55 new coronavirus-related deaths, bringing the county's death toll to 1,367 amid 28,644 cases.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- How California's COVID-19 cases stack up against other hot spot states
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions