SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- In 1970, when Van "The Kid" Amburg was taking over as lead news anchor at KGO-TV, the station caused a sensation with a Wild West ad featuring "The Channel 7 News Gang."
VIDEOS: ABC7 celebrates 70 years of local news in the Bay Area
This video contains two versions of the iconic TV commercial, a 30-second ad that has been widely circulated and a rarely seen one-minute version that features even more nicknames, puns and a few guns.
In addition to Amburg, the team included "Big" Jerry Jensen; John O'Reilly, "The Dude on Sports," and meteorologist Pete "Doc" Giddings.
Look back with us through the ABC7 archives to witness our unique communities through the eyes of some of the first people to broadcast their stories, as ABC7 celebrates 70 years in the Bay Area.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- 70 Years of ABC7: See the 1960s Bay Area through the lens of local TV
- From the Archives: ABC7's Peabody Award winning coverage of 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake
- 70 Years of ABC7: There goes that news van and other cool ABC7 vehicles!
- 70 Years of ABC7: Was Superman really an ABC7 consumer reporter?
- 70 Years of ABC7: Rare behind-the-scenes video of The Beatles during visit to San Francisco in 1965
- 70 Years of ABC7: Former Mayor Willie Brown declares ABC Day in San Francisco
- 70 Years of ABC7: Behind the Scenes of Reality TV in 1955
- 70 Years of ABC7: Behind the Scenes of Channel 7 News in 1968
- 70 Years of ABC7: From haunted house to top television station
- 70 years of ABC7: What was it like to be a news photographer in 1968?