State officials say COVID-19 testing is an important indicator in when the state could reopen.
This week, California has significantly improved its ranking as compared to other states testing for the virus.
"We're making progress for one reason -- we took responsibility and we took initiative," said Gov. Gavin Newsom during a press conference Friday.
An ABC7 News I-TEAM analysis of data from the COVID-19 tracking project and state health departments looked at processed tests for the 50 states and D.C.
RELATED: COVID-19 testing backlog decreased, more testing on the way, Gov. Newsom announces
The data was updated as of Thursday.
California ranks 27th this week, up from 48th last week and 45th on April 10.
"It's still not good enough, we need to do a lot more," said Newsom.
"We hope to be averaging 25,000 tests a day by the end of this month," he continued.
When standardizing for population differences, Rhode Island ranks first with the most tests processed at nearly 42,000 per 1 million people.
RELATED: Oakland expands free COVID-19 testing to residents in Alameda County
California ranks 27th with just over 12,000 tests processed per 1 million people. That's nearly twice the number of tests processed last week.
Kansas is last with a little over 7,000 tests processed per 1 million people.
For California, progress in testing could lead to progress elsewhere.
"The more we can do in this space, much more than we're currently doing, yes, the quicker then we can start connecting, more green dots in those other indicators," Newsom said.
These are indicators that are ultimately needed for the state to re-open.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19