Park police are out this morning-making sure people don’t come to Golden Gate Park in San Francisco to celebrate 4-20 pic.twitter.com/PgvSLzHIZU— Amy Hollyfield (@amyhollyfield) April 20, 2020
It is 4/20 of 2020. A huge celebration was expected this year as marijuana lovers gather on this day to smoke and celebrate pot. But Mayor London Breed canceled the event to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.
RELATED: San Francisco mayor urges public to not celebrate 4/20 at Golden Gate Park
As of Monday morning, her calls for people to stay away worked. The park was empty.
WATCH: Split-screen video shows Hippie Hill on 4/20 this year verse 2018
Workers at San Francisco's dispensary the Apothecarium were happy to hear that.
"I am really glad to hear that people are not at Golden Gate Park and they are sheltering in place. We are encouraging people to celebrate this year at home," Said Apothecarium spokesperson Eliot Dobris from his backyard.
"We are offering delivery. We encourage people to order online for delivery or in-store pick up. But we are really encouraging delivery this year," he said.
RELATED: 'Stay within your envelope,' Bay Area Rapper E-40 shares importance of social distancing on 4/20
April 20 usually brings thousands of people to the park. It has gotten so big, the city has recently permitted the event and lined up sponsors to help pay for the security and the clean-up. But this year, people are encouraged to have virtual celebrations with friends.
"Am I sad that we can't all get together for 4/20? Of course. This is a terrible virus. I wish we could celebrate in person. But I would be more sad if people were out and taking risks. This is the year we have to stay safe," he said.
Dobris isn't sure what to expect in terms of sales volume this year, calling it such an unprecedented year.
The Mayor says police will issue citations to anyone who tries to gather in the park for this event.
RELATED: Bay Area rapper E-40 talks with ABC7, urges people to stay inside on 4/20 to prevent spread of COVID-19
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19