RELATED: California schools may stay closed through end of school year, superintendent says
SFUSD students are now getting some big-time tech support as the new "distance learning" hasn't been easy for everyone.
"It's been confusing mostly, I don't know what's going on," said one student.
This week, students are getting Chromebook laptops. The computers are on-loan to students who may not have the tools they need at home.
RELATED: Bay Area officials add new restrictions on what people can do during extended COVID-19 shelter-in-place orders
"She needs something to help her focus," said parent Manisha Jones.
Jones is grabbing one for her daughter.
The district says up to 4,000 students may not have access to electronic devices.
"Starting on April 13, we're going to engage all students in district with required course taking. In order to do that, we need to give all students the opportunity to be connected to digital learning," said SFUSD spokesperson Gentle Blythe.
$4 million in private donations made it possible to purchase thousands of laptops.
RELATED: SF Bay Area libraries expand online services after closing
The donations have also provided thousands of free grab-and-go meals for hungry students during the shelter in place order.
"It's a little piece of school, gets me motivated because we use them in school," said student Carlos Ramirez.
Manisha says she never knew life would throw such a curveball, she's now focused on her daughter's health and safety.
"I want my daughter to survive, if that's what it takes for my daughter to be at home, so be it, we get to live another day," Jones added.
The laptops will be distributed at 16 SFUSD sites Tuesday and Wednesday.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus in CA: Get resources and information about COVID-19
- Bay Area school closures related to coronavirus pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19