VACAVILLE, Calif. (KGO) -- Two Northern California small business owners are feeling the impact of the novel coronavirus pandemic and have decided to defy the state's shelter-in-place order.
Coronavirus California: Gov. Newsom announces 4 phases to reopen CA businesses and schools
Barber Juan Desmarais who owns a shop in Winters tells ABC7 News that Friday will be soon enough to go back to work, "Especially since the Governor says no."
He's not alone, especially among people who work on or style hair for a living.
"I think what is happening is wrong," said Lia Rivera of Hairendipity in Vacaville.
She arrived at her salon to find a large queue of reporters, all waiting for her to defy guidelines by taking her first customer in nine weeks.
"I am frustrated that I am a symbol of defiance," said Rivera.
She has no choice, says Lia, after 90 days without customers in that chair, no small business loan, and three boys to support.
"I can guarantee a five-figure loss every month? Give me rules to follow and I will follow them," said Rivera.
Both Lia and Juan insist they can work on hair safely.
"We have 1,500 hours of instruction," said Desmarais. "We're sanitary. That's what barber school is for."
He insists that this is less about money than the principle.
As a former Marine and retired CHP officer, Juan knows all about respecting rules and now defying them.
"The real issue is the example we as adults and politicians are giving to our kids. We're teaching them that when things get rough, let's go inside and run and hide," said Desmarais.
It's either that, or else stand outside a salon, defending your actions, one answer at a time.
"I am more worried about the guaranteed loss I am going to take if I continue to stay closed," said Rivera.
"The economic loss cannot be more damaging than the risk," said Desmarais. "We're talking about the world-wide economy. How much money can we throw at it?"
And so we approach a boiling point. It had to happen sooner or later.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- 6 Bay Area counties extend shelter-in-place orders through end of May
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- How California's COVID-19 cases stack up against other hot spot states
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions